Monday, April 14, 2008

EGGS - What's that little reddy brown splotch inside my egg?

I'm guessing you're grossed out by it - that little splotchy reddy brown thing that you sometimes find when you crack open an egg. You mention it or ask me about it all the time.

Somehow you believe that this represents a fertilized egg, so the question is usually "do you have a rooster?", to which I answer no. Maybe the fact that you think it's a fertilized egg or rooster spuzzum or something like that makes it worse for you. Would it make it any better to know it's a blood spot?

A blood spot is occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg. These eggs are just fine to eat.

The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you must.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know that I've never seen a bloody splotch inside of an egg? I don't eat eggs, but I have had to break them on occasion for others.

That being said, it's reason number 253,322 why I don't eat eggs when they're anything other than an ingredient in cake or the like.

Magnolia said...

After nearly 14 years of marriage...I noticed my husband digging in the bowl of eggs he was about to prepare. I asked what he was doing. He said I'm getting rid of those white things attached to the yolk. I asked why? He said it grossed him out. I guess I have nearly always made his eggs and haven't been around to see what he does when he makes them. May have been mean...but I said.."you know I don't remove it when I make the eggs..." He just ignored me.
I said.."you know its just an anchor right?". Again...he ignored me. I guess he didn't care..he just wanted it out. LOL

"A Rural Rube"and all of its contents are protected by copyright. In order to copy or use any of the entries or photos seen in the blog, please contact me at aruralrube@yahoo.com.
Copyright 2008 A Rural Rube
Powered By Blogger