Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cherry Cobbler in the name of Spontaneity

It's kinda funny the way things happen. I've never once before thought about painting the hen house. Not even a passing flicker.
After last night's visit to Margaret's, though, I find myself looking differently at everything right now. And desperately wanting to make a change.

I was doing the chicken chores and had the instant thought that I should paint the doors and the trim of the henhouse. Make it look tidier and cuter. Without sparing a moment, I went inside to get the stuff I needed to get started.

I'll tell you something truthful - if "Paint the henhouse" had been on my list of 'Things to Do', I would have avoided it like a tree from a pine beetle in a BC forest. (for the record, I don't have a 'Things to Do' list for precisely this reason.)
I have to act spontaneously. That's where the passion and energy lie. That's when getting something done isn't even close to being an obligation, but can be thoroughly enjoyed.

(and, failing spontaneity, a "deadline" can always be relied upon!)

Here's the before: ( I know, it looks a little ghetto, doesn't it?)


I painted for almost 4 hours, with music playing in the sunshine and a cold cider nearby. It was a great day. And I'm thrilled with the result. I'm going to add a cheap piece of art or iron above the egg collecting door, I think. I was going to go for this darker orange I have, but decided last minute to go with the Cherry Cobbler instead. And I like the red so much that I've decided to paint the workshop door the same colour and to get a new door for our house and paint it the same colour.
It is the same red as the roof of our house.

Here's my after: ( I love it!!)

7 comments:

AppleTree 43 said...

Well Done
Love it - Love it.
I think you should add a sign to it --- you know one of the rustic signs on a scrap of wood.
"Rube Chickens Live Here"...or something.
Wonder what Margaret would think?

the rural rube said...

Great idea!
Maybe "rube hens lay here"? above the laying box door there?

What WOULD Margaret think?
I'd be afraid of what her place would look like with a few cans of bright red paint actually.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Definately cuter!! LOL! The cold cider and sunshine sounds fab!!

Shannon

AppleTree 43 said...

Yup -- J.Rube creative mind on the go...go...go
Love the Rube Hens Lay Here.
:0)

Anonymous said...

It's totally lovely! Look at your chicken standing there admiring your handiwork. Congratulations.

You know that Jon Paul would've said that you should've spent that time painting the exposed wood on your house though, right?

Fucker. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love it! It looks great! I am a spontaneous cleaner too. Just the other day I went outside with my youngest and on a whim decided to clean the front and back yards up. Chores are more fun when you want to do them! And it feels great when they are done!

Magnolia said...

I love it!!!
So clean looking..."finished" really.
I like the idea of a sign or ironwork. It will be lovely.

"A Rural Rube"and all of its contents are protected by copyright. In order to copy or use any of the entries or photos seen in the blog, please contact me at aruralrube@yahoo.com.
Copyright 2008 A Rural Rube
Powered By Blogger