Monday, March 31, 2008

Down on the Farm this week

After our last chicken murder last Thursday and the subseqeuent slaughter of the mink (YES!!!! she says as she pumps her arm in the air!), life on the farm has been happily uneventful, with no major events to report. We've had no births or auction additions and no further deaths or auction sales.

The sheep are all in the winter pasture up by the house here still and I can't wait to get them out of there. I know I've mentioned mud a few times already, but, IT IS FUCKING MUDDY.

They need out of there before their feet just rot away. Over the next few weeks, we'll be laying out some new fencing and moving them down into the front pastures, where the grass is growing and there is no mud in sight! They'll think they've gone to heaven.

It's so nice having them up here all winter though. This is the first year that I feel like we've really had a system, in terms of sleeping, feeding, and care of the animals. With them so close to the house and their new feeding trough right off our basement door, it's been the busy hub of the farmyard, and it's allowed us to really get to know our sheep. I feel more attached to them right now than I ever have before.
It's no real secret that the whole farming thing is more B.Rube's idea than my own. He does the work out there, mostly. (particularly the dirty work....). I have to help out with feeding and eggs, and, in the past, I've complained about it much of the time.

Lately, though, I find myself really enjoying my time out there.


Here are some images from the farm this week:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying it J.Rube.
It looks like a little piece of heaven to me. What a great experience for the girls.

Anonymous said...

I love that you love the farm life. I can't say I could do it...in fact...I have no interest..though it WAS fun to visit chase the pigs with you LOL.
And at times I wish I could have a slop bowl on the counter and a pig near by to feed it to. (mostly when I have to go empty the compost bin under the counter to the outside bin for the curb pick-up).
I also love the pics you post..it helps me feel connected still.
Happy Spring J. Rube!!!

Sue

Magnolia said...

I know I left a comment already..but I couldn't do so using my "handle" Magnolia for some reason- trying it again.

Sue

Unknown said...

I love the pictures of the Farm in action. The mud...is muddy!

"A Rural Rube"and all of its contents are protected by copyright. In order to copy or use any of the entries or photos seen in the blog, please contact me at aruralrube@yahoo.com.
Copyright 2008 A Rural Rube
Powered By Blogger