Friday, May 27, 2011

And I Believe in Him



We're not a religious family. That's probably a bit of an understatement actually. When I first met B.Rube he often referred to me as "the anti-christ" due to my clear and decided opinion against Christianity. I am an atheist.

My girls are almost 7 and 5, and the discussion of God, church, religion or Jesus has not really come up yet. We talk a lot about our values of kindness, respect, understanding, love, patience, tolerance and acceptance, and have had to address the complicated issue of death. We've discussed things like 'doing unto others' and a belief in karma and fate.
Today on the way home from school, S.Rube read a church sign that we drove by, and asked what "Sunday School" was. Which led to a discussion about Christianity.

I gave them my brief, unbiased, and somewhat ignorant explanation of what Christianity was. (I'm certain that some of my good Christian friends are cringing at the thought of this.) I said that Christians believe that a few thousand years ago there was a man named Jesus who was a leader and who helped people. And Jesus died. And then he came back to Earth. And people believed in him and he believed in the people. And then he left again with a promise that he'd be back. And so today Christians believe that he'll come back at some point (not last Saturday!), and those that believe will get to go with him to Heaven and those who don't believe won't get to go. These people go to churches to pray together and they try to live by following Jesus' rules. Sunday School is where the kids go on Sunday mornings to learn more about Jesus and his beliefs. (Now, that wasn't too bad, was it??)

S.Rube then asked if I believed in Jesus and I told her: No, that I didn't believe in the whole story of Jesus, but that I didn't want to taint their beliefs with my own, and that when they were old enough to explore and understand it, they were always welcome to do so. I told her lots of people believe.

Little T.Rube jumped into the conversation then, pointedly deciding, "I definitely believe."
"Yup!", she says, "I believe in Jesus." And then she looked at S.Rube who was wearing her favourite pants and said, "But I don't believe in capris. Nope. I don't believe in capris one little bit because capris are not real. Jesus is real though. He is."


(Seriously. She may have a point about the capris.)

I sputtered a bit, trying not to laugh outright. Jesus and capris.

A couple of hours later, I overheard T.Rube explaining her new belief system to her dad.
"So, yeah, there was this man who lives on the moon. And he came to Earth and then he died. And he went back to the moon. And if you believe in him, you'll get to go to the moon too. But if you don't believe in him, you don't get to go."
"And I believe in him."
"But I don't believe in capris."

9 comments:

thelma said...

Oh my gawd! I don't know what's more hilarious....you explaining Christianity (not a bad job admittedly) or T. Rube professing her own brand of fashion faith. Jesus! Remind me not to wear my capris around the wee prophetess.

Laughing Martha :) said...

Ok, wait a sec.... S. Rube Asked what "Sunday school" is, and you decided to explain the whole Christian faith???

the rural rube said...

Looky there Curious Martha...always posing questions...
The explanation of the whole Christian faith only came after I asked if she knew what 'church' and 'God' were, and she said she didn't.
I actually thought it was a fairly easy way to explain it.

Also, you should all know that T chose bloody capris to wear today. Apparently she is as hypocritical as some of her fellow believers....

Renee said...

Perhaps she's just agnostic as far as capris are concerned. Because can anyone REALLY be sure, either way?

thelma said...

Nice Renee!

AppleTree 43 said...

I would say you gave the girls a nice explanation Jodi.
My personal opinion is that as parents, we should give our children some form of religion ....and then that when they are older they can decide for themselves if they believe, or don't, etc.
My husband is an atheist, he was raised with religion, and when he was old enough made his choices.
I myself was raised in a Irish Catholic home and do believe in God, in Jesus, a higher power and that I will one day meet my parents and loved ones in the after life.
It all boils down to the knowledge to make the decision.
As for the capris.......I agree with T.Rube 100%.

Mayan_Love_Goddess said...

Sh!t, I'm wearing capris ... am I going straight to hell then?

OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!!

You did a good job J.Rube. :D

Kids are amazing. I just love their logic.

Robyn said...

I LOVE T RUBE!!!

WalkOn Border Collies said...

ROTFL! When I was 6 or 7 I had to go the Sunday School at a nearby United Church. I hated it & finally wore my parents down til I didn't have to go anymore. When I was 10 or 11 a couple friends introduced me to a neighborhood lady who taught 'Bible study' after school once a week. We went mostly for the delicious cookies we got to go home with. After going home terrified with deathly fears that my parents were going to end up in 'lakes of fire' because they didn't go to church, I wasn't allowed to go anymore. Then at age 12, my Mom decided to take me on a tour of a bunch of different churches so that I could make my own choice. I chose the holy roller Baptist church as I was entranced with the robust choir and the people who sang out 'Yeah Lord' and especially the ones who ran up the aisle and threw themselves on the floor. My Mom allowed my second choice which was the Unitarian - their Sunday school involved mostly arts & crafts. This all happened in Edmonton. After our move to Burnaby I joined the teen Unitarian group and smoked my first 'herb' at a party in the church basement. LOL Now am a confirmed athiest.

"A Rural Rube"and all of its contents are protected by copyright. In order to copy or use any of the entries or photos seen in the blog, please contact me at aruralrube@yahoo.com.
Copyright 2008 A Rural Rube
Powered By Blogger